Thursday, September 15, 2011

Missoni For Target: A Near Miss

Target's website crashed earlier this week, when crazed fashionistas all over the United States tried to get their paws on the limited items Missoni made for Target. There were also pushing, shoving, aggressive shoppers in line outside of the stores' opening at 8AM. I missed all that.
But only because I arrived at Target at 8:02. I also missed all the "good stuff" - the adult sweaters, the luggage, etc... I grabbed stuff randomly- a tote, an umbrella, acrylic tumblers, a baby outfit, Post-Its (designer temporary Post-Its!) a nightie... I did scoop up some sweaters for Papoose. As I stood looking at my cart filled with random Missoni leftovers (and overhearing conversations of those smug early aweners or grumpy late arrivals), I started to think. This stuff was nice for Target, but nowhere near Missoni quality. It was cheaper than Missoni, but expensive for Target. I was caught up in the hype, the experience of being cool enough to own Missoni from Target, because that had an extra cachet of just plain old fancy Missoni.  I put a good chunk of it back. I kept the sweaters for Papoose, the baby stuff (for a gift, for someone who is due in October and loves fashion) and the umbrella... because really if I want to own Missoni, I want the real thing. And for that, I can wait. Meanwhile, if it's raining, I'm that woman with that really fashionable umbrella, which will hopefully actually keep out the rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: