Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Wall Concert Review

We saw Roger Waters perform"The Wall" last Wednesday, at the HP Pavillion.
Hubs was particularly excited as he's loved the album since being a teen.
I've always thought Pink Floyd was good- David Gilmore being a particularly elegant rock guitarist, even. And Roger Waters solo albums are great concept albums, especially "Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking", but that maybe because I also like Douglas Albums. I like Dark Side of the Moon, I just try not to listen to it the way I refuse to see sad movies- too depressing.


 At the Pavillion, you can actually have a decent, if overpriced, sit down meal before the show. In a restaurant where you can have a conversation in normal tones.

Our seats were fantastic, even better than the Eagles.

The visual show was amazing- they actually built a huge wall on the stage, had all sorts of great video on HUGE screens, even a flying pig.


Yes, really.  The pig was gigantic, with glowing red eyes and it flew all the way around the arena. You couldn't even see the strings, and I was looking.

The music was performed impeccably, including a back up singer for Roger Water's parts (well, Don Henley has a back up drummer, and RW is older).


     Too bad I really hate the album.


During the intermission, there was a huge line to the bathroom- the men's.
A woman walking into the women's with me said,"How weird is that? All these guys?"
I replied,"It's cause Roger Waters is sexist."
From another stall, another woman with an emphatic,"Very!"

I smirked at the old dudes with prostate issues on my way back to my seat. Yeah, I'm mean.

I felt too grown up during the second half of the show. I mean the angst, the railing against "The Man", making money (yup Roger, that's why your $40+ concert tshirts are made by free people in China, right? Or is it cause they have a Great Wall?) - doesn't it get old after awhile?

Plus, I was sick of the misogynist rants against Mother and Venus Fly Trap wives. Of course, Roger would know- he's had 4.

Hubs said he just doesn't pay that much attention to the lyrics. Given his state of hearing, especially when I'm talking, I'm inclined to believe him.

At the end of the show, Roger Waters apologized for being such a jerk 30 years ago, when he wrote the album. And while he didn't apologize to his mom, that redeemed The Wall.


Thank you, Roger.
 People do grow up and out of being jerks. Out of their walls.

And yeah, I did have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: