Monday, October 24, 2011

Should You Be Worried?

Ever since last year's mild obsession with DH and the Eagles, you've known I'm a bit obsessive. Fortunately, so far it's been limited to limited subjects. I mean, at the end of the day, there are only so many songs by the Eagles and so many books about them for other moderately curious people. But now...maybe it's time to start worrying about me.
Actually, worry first about George Lucas. The man is cra-cra. Sure he's a genius, bringing us Star Wars, Empire, Indiana Jones, even ILM. But hello? Other Indy movies? Temple of the Skull? Jar Jar Binks? Indians eating monkey brains?
And worst offender of all, Captain Eo. Hubs somehow managed to doze off to this atrocity: Lucas and Coppola and Disney make a movie featuring Michael Jackson in major 80s sparkle and epaulets, singing a catchy Beat It-ish tune, while you sit in chairs that move and weird furry animated creatures flew off the screen in 3-D; the stuff of nightmares, I tell you.



Hope the video works, I've never embedded before.
It did manage to make me forget the horrors of Eo, though, I was laughing so hard.

Back to Lucas. He also has spawned this massive subculture of Star Wars called "The Expanded Universe" which is explained in detail, on something called Wookiepedia, I kid you not. Star Wars time is based around the Battle of Yavin- you know, when Luke blows up the first Death Star.  Star Wars time is measured in years before and years after Yavin. And there are hundreds of EU books!
So it turns out that my favorite Star Wars character isn't even mentioned in the movies.

Now even I'm worrying about me.  And here's the thing, seven books into it (Start with Heir To the Empire, which I actually haven't read, as I'm working my way backwards to it- by Timothy Zahn. I'm talking to you, Bro) I've realized it's all because of adolescent me, again. You see, my favorite Star Wars is  Grand Admiral Thrawn of the Empire, a blue skinned bad guy, is almost exactly like the blue bad I used to watch in eighth grade, Leader Desslock of Gamlin in StarBlazers.
You be the judge:


Shudder.
What madness lies next?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: