Monday, October 31, 2011

What I Learned In October

October was supposed to be my month of chic and being French.
Which it was, for the most part. I really enjoyed eating whatever I wanted- it made me realize that I really can't eat junky sugary HFCS laden food all the time- but I really do enjoy small increments of it.
I enjoyed the days I dressed properly and put five minutes of effort into make-up- I felt more polished and somehow better control of the day.
I really enjoyed our family decision "to look only at the good" for the month- the irritating things were far less irritating. I don't know if that kind of thinking is too Pollyanna, but it did make those daily little annoyances less, plus I had the pleasure of taking the sanctified high road. It's a habit I'd like to continue. Another French idea is to use your good stuff, so I used a lot of my "good items"- accessory and jewelry-wise, I wore dresses and heels- which gave me a lot of joy too- in using it instead of letting it just sit, getting compliments, and again, with that minimal extra effort of feeling polished. It also made me realize that I really don't need more, just enjoy what I have more...
Which led me into being more organized, so I can see what I do have...and needing to get more organized helped me get a nagging home project (the closet shelving) done.
In terms of being effortless- I decided to be less stressed and perfectionistic at our annual Halloween party. Instead of the stress of catering from Whole Foods (the food is great, but they always mess up orders), I got a few things from here, a few things from there, friends brought treats (RocoCoco makes the best baked goods), and it was as lavish as ever. In fact, the biggest hit was Papoose's idea: mini corn dogs. Both kids and grown ups liked them. Less effort=more fun.
And in the more fun category is my new found love of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Crazy? Weird? Yeah, absolutely. But as the French would say,"suivez votre passion!" (Which despite my pinky promise means more SW posts in the future...maybe I'll even make Hubs take me to ComiCon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: