Monday, March 1, 2010

What I have learned so far

Hubs said he felt the same way about this month as I did. That made me feel better. Dave Ramsey even says that  it takes a few months to get the hang of the zero budgeting.
You know what has inspired me though? You, my friends. Rainbow Brite told me she felt inspired when she cleaned her closet and more thoughtful when buying. Almond Roca said if I had more spending sprees, she'd use the bar on me if I bought more  a la Lululemon. (Umm thanks, I think.) One of the moms I know told me she switched to cash only purchases after we talked about zero spending.
Here is some stuff that I've read and found helpful:
1. Pay with cash. It is hard to part with.
2. Eat before you shop. Don't shop when you or any member of your party is tired, crabby or emotional.
3. Make a list, literally, plus what you think it may cost (even just mentally) - esp at places like Target.
4. Put the small items in first, with a running total in your head, before putting in the large items. It's easy to justify adding a bunch of little things after committing to buy something big. I'm not sure why.
5. Don't be afraid to "abandon ship" and leave stuff in your cart, virtual or real. I have left my cart behind and carried the few items I really needed to checkout. Is it rude? Maybe. But it's my cash.
6. Don't think "I can return it." Think, "I can purchase it later if I need it." because you want to
7. Stay out of stores. Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist anything except temptation, so why be tempted?
8. It seems paradoxic, but build in rewards, big and small. I noticed that it's at the end of the month that it is hardest to stick to the budget. For March, we planned for this.
9. Overbudget, underspend. It's rewarding.
10. Be accountable to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: