Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, Newly Resolved

Our financial planner used to tell us that knowing your finances is empowering. Let's face it- it's also full of recriminations, denial, shock and guilt. I  remorselessly blame this on my parents. The burden of spending in our house falls to me. I buy the groceries, the toiletries, the clothes, the school supplies, the gifts. I take care of the checks for Papoose, the animals, etc. So I'm the one primarily responsible for cashflow out. I'm not crazy careless, but
I figure with the amount I spent on clothing last year (for me, Hubs and some gifts to a lesser degree) I could've flown to Paris and back, first class, sipping Veuve Cliquot Rose, bought two couture Chanel suits and a set of Goyard luggage. Ok, maybe not two suits, and maybe not the luggage. But you get what I mean- The worst part is, I usually wear leggings with knee high socks, Uggs and a ratty sweatshirt.
So this year, I am not buying any new clothes.
I am not buying any new clothes.
See this blog:

Bye Bye Buy: December 2006 So of course in the waning days of 2009, I did what any other addict about to be cut off does: I hoarded. I bought myself some extra knee high socks (check out the K. Bells with the cute horse patterns. They are simply the best. Cosy without losing elasticity or cutting off circulation.) I bought sports bras. We don't want worn out ones of those, do we? A pair of flannel pajamas. Leggings and tights (the best are by Hue- same criteria as knee highs). Polar fleece riding tights, so I actually get out and ride when it's cold.
I also made Hubs buy me new Uggs for Christmas, in grey, and I wanted Hunter Wellies, but can you believe there are none to be found in Hunter Green, size 7? (It's true. Not trusting Hubs, I looked myself)
With all my free time and money, I am going to lose the muffin top. (Stop quivering like a bowl full of jelly,  you evil fat cells, you're harder to get rid of than the Taliban)  I'm going to do this by:
1)the evil Bar Method three days a week
2) the gym for cardio three days a week.
Plus of course riding three days a week...because I am going to do three shows this year. (Totally inspired by Shay, whose interview -I promise- is coming up)
So bye bye Target. Bye bye Stanford and Hillsdale Mall. I'll miss you, Macys. And especially you, my dearest Nordstrom. Good bye, Pottery Barn.
My art room overfloweth, so good bye Joann's and Michaels.
Hubs and I made a list of things we can buy from- CostCo (toiletries,paper goods, bulk carrots) and groceries from WholeFoods and Trader Joes.
And because we are not totally crazy, we are allowing ourselves a weekly allowance- totally discretionary- $20 ( ooh, a MAC eyeshadow) and a limited amount of books not from the library.
I'm curious to see how long I can manage this. I love shopping. I  am the most creative at not exercising and eating fatty food.
Will I turn into Mr Krabs from Sponge Bob and love me money more? OR will I become even more like Patrick, the Starfish?
I'm resolved to do better with my money, time and energy this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: