Thursday, January 7, 2010

Riding, and Hubs Goes to the Doghouse In China

I rode yesterday, after two weeks. I went to Bar Method, then rode.
The day before, was super productive. I didn't post, on account of making Almond Roca too upset about my super productivity: I went to the gym, for forty five minutes on the treadmill and Precor. Combined, not each. I just kept looking at the rolls in the mirror and it kept me going. And I went grocery shopping, took the dogs out, helped in class. Made dinner. Took Papoose to Kumon, piano, scheduled major trash pick up day.Life was good. Well, Papoose was late to class, but overall, life was good.
Yesterday should have been the same. Took the dogs to the groomer, went to Bar went to the barn. I flatted with the Assistant (my Trainer was teaching the other class) after she rode Hadley. He was great. I felt great. Then Assistant said I should jump. I did, but it was ugly. Ugly. I was fearful and Hadley got excited going towards the gate. I  curled forward and close to his neck, arms stiff and tight. We went the other way and it was better, but not much.
The Trainer said, "Unicorn, you gotta get out here and ride. Once a week if you can. Twice a week if you can. Three times a week is better. Because that's how you will progress, and you gotta feel like you are progressing. You see everyone today? No one rode since before Christmas, and they were all shaky. You gotta ride. Now stop getting all fetal, which I hate, and sit up!."
The Assistant said, "She hasn't ridden since Christmas, either. Use your New York walk."
The Trainer: "What's that?"
Assistant: "You know, so you won't get mugged."
Me: "Like John Travolta, singing Stayin' Alive."
The Trainer laughed and said,"That's a great analogy. Wear that white suit."
 I relaxed, sat up, Hadley immediately stopped chomping the bit and walked, maybe even strutted, back to the barn.
But I felt crabby, defensive. It's true, I hadn't ridden since Christmas. I was sick last week. But I had ridden three times a week regularly before.
And I'm planning to ride today and tomorrow. Hell, it's in my schedule. But no. My first day back and that's all the Trainer can say?
But the day was going to get worse.
Now I was crabby, tired and hungry. I had forgotten my carefully packed lunch. Extra crabby.
Hubs chooses this moment to call, to tell me my Christmas Uggs had arrived. From China.
Folks, the rest of this story is ugly, so you can stop reading now if you have delicate sensibilities.
 I will just say there were accusations (Really, who orders from unknown websites with multiple obvious spelling mistakes? We know who does.)
There were tears. Remember how I hoarded up to be prepared for 2010 so I wouldn't need to buy anything? That's what this Christmas present was about. I didn't buy them from October last year so Hubs could buy them for me for Christmas. I gave him my little list (cosy slippers, Uggs, Wellies) before Thanksgiving. I even gave him the websites to order from. I guarantee Ugg11.com was not one of them.
More crying because now I have to use my stretched out, water damaged, stained Uggs for another year. It's the stretched out, smushed shearling part I don't like. New Uggs are like sinking your toes into soft, thick piled carpet every time you put on your shoes. Like a cocoon of warmth, all the way up your shins. They even kinda have a new car scent to them.
I don't know what's worse: not having new Uggs or crying about them. And I don't want to go ride. Anyone want a horse?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think Here: